Saturday, October 4, 2014

Consulting Feminist's Fall Pilot Roundup

It’s that time of year again! Fall TV season has returned and viewers are awash in new shows. Thankfully, if you don’t have time to watch all of the pilots out there, I’ve tackled a few for you and I’m sharing my thoughts here from a feminist perspective and as a regular TV viewer. Here’s to the 2014 season!

Madam Secretary: I LOVE THIS SHOW. I loved it by the end of the pilot. Madam Secretary combines the intrigue of Scandal and House of Cards with the storytelling and dignity of The Good Wife and The West Wing. In Tea Leoni’s Secretary Elizabeth McCord, we find the oft-missing representation of a woman who manages to do it all, though, not without the realistic struggle. Madam Secretary does not continue to ask if a woman can have it all. Rather, it tells the story of a woman who does successfully balance work and family with grace. This is such a welcome departure from what I’m used to seeing on TV and I absolutely will be back for more. (CBS/ Sundays at 8/7c)

A to Z: A to Z is an interesting concept. Here we have essentially a romantic comedy told as a television series. Within five minutes we know exactly how long the two main characters, Andrew and Zelda, will date. Aside from one plot line that involved Andrew essentially stalking Zelda online to make a point, I had no major problems with the pilot, though only time will tell whether A to Z will be truly original or rely on outdated and sexist tropes. I’m willing to give it another chance and I’m curious about whether the concept will work out. (NBC/Thursdays at 9:30/8:30c)

The Mysteries of Laura: So done with “can she have it all” story lines and that is all that The Mysteries of Laura is. I was tired of it before the pilot was over. (NBC/Wednesday at 8/7c)

The Red Band Society: I have a lot of reservations about the way this show portrays chronic illness, especially one character’s eating disorder. That said, the storytelling is well done and Red Band boasts a relatively diverse cast. I’ll continue to watch and may take time to expand on some of my criticisms in a longer post once I’ve seen more of what The Red Band Society has to offer. (FOX/Wednesdays at 9/8c)

Selfie: Selfie was probably the funniest pilot I’ve watched so far and it’s not getting the viewership or reviews it deserves, but I hate the idea of another Eliza Doolittle. I feel like this has been done and, honestly, I find the whole Pygmalion concept a little bit creepy. The story of Henry Higgins and Eliza Doolittle is a quintessentially disempowering one for Eliza. She can only win the love of a man and a proper place in society when she ceases to be herself and bends instead to become purely an object of her male counterpart’s desire. If it lasts long enough, I hope Selfie turns this idea on its head and tracks the progression of a relationship in which both parties change and learn from one another. I hope Eliza continues to be Eliza and Henry continues to be Henry, but better together. (ABC/Tuesdays at 8/7c)

NCIS: New Orleans: I’ve genuinely enjoyed the first two episodes of the second NCIS spinoff. I quit watching the original about a year ago, but New Orleans brings back the spunk and charm of the NCIS brand, but with a Southern twist and the police procedural feel of NCIS’s early seasons. I’ve also been pleased that there’s no rush to pair off the characters of Lasalle and Brody as a couple and I hope to see their growing friendship explored more deeply. The cast could do with a little more diversity as the primary characters are 60% male and 80% white, which seems less than representative of the actual city of New Orleans. For now, I’ll say that I’ll be tuning in regularly. (CBS/ Tuesdays at 9/8c)

Forever: Forever presents an interesting twist on the crime procedural. This show could combine the success ABC has seen with fantasy like Once Upon a Time with a traditionally strong genre. It’s reminiscent of another ABC staple, Castle. However, as interesting as it is, the main cast is dismally male and dismally white. I would really like to see some more female regulars and greater diversity. (ABC/Tuesdays at 10/9c)


How to Get Away with Murder: Praise be to Shonda. That is all. (ABC/Thursdays at 10/9c)

No comments:

Post a Comment